MARIETTA, Ohio (WTAP) – In January, the Ohio Attorney General’s Advisory Group on Unmanned Aircraft Systems issued 14 recommendations on how law enforcement agencies in Ohio use drones. The Washington County Sheriff’s Office says it’s in line with those protocols.
The recommendations are:
1) Agencies should develop their own written policy by using the report’s model policy as a guide.
2) Anyone operating a UAS should have a remote pilot certificate under the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Part 107.
3) Agencies should “review their needs and the applicability” of an FAA Certificate of Waiver or Authorization before they apply for one.
4) Drones should be inspected and tested before they are flown.
5) Agencies should determine a set of approved drone uses.
6) Agencies should get a search warrant before using their UAS in a location with “a reasonable expectation of privacy.”
7) Operators should take measures to